Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Little Rest and Relaxation

Last year the rainy weather got the best of us so we decided to take a weekend getaway to a resort called The Boulders, located in Carefree, Arizona.  We loved it!  After an amazing time, we decided this was a trip that needed to be repeated at least once a year.  Usually we don't like to repeat our vacations but for some reason, this place is different.  If nothing else, it's great for a quick weekend retreat to escape our crummy Pacific Northwest weather and recharge.

Keeping our promise to one another, this year we planned four wonderful days at The Boulders over Mother's Day weekend (oops).  Luckily, our mom's understood (next year we will be sure to plan the trip another weekend).  Needless to say, the trip was amazing!  We were even asked if we were on our honeymoon which is a question I always love getting asked. When I responded that it was just a vacation, the people looked at me inquisitively and said, "You're not on your honeymoon?  But it looks like you guys still really enjoy one another."  Although it made me feel really good, I couldn't help but feel a little sad that our society views relationships in that way.  Just because it looks like you enjoy one another's company it must mean you are newlyweds? No wonder the divorce rate in our country is so high.  I can't imagine being married to someone who wasn't my best friend and favorite person to hang out with. Yep, we still like each other and Yep, we LOVE spending time with one another.

We didn't do much while we were there which is what we enjoy most about this trip.  Its truly a vacation to decompress and soak in some vitamin D which we did quite well.

Oh ha! I almost forgot. We did have something happen that neither one of us had experienced before and would be okay never experiencing again.  At the end of the trip, we boarded a shuttle to the airport. My husband and I were seated in the very back row of the crowded bus.  Two seats in front of us sat a kid and his mom on the right side and a group of people directly across from them on the left.  They all faced each other while we faced forward towards all of them.  All of the sudden, with no warning whatsoever, the kid starts projectile vomiting all over the bus and the people across from him.  BLEHHHHHHHH!  So gross!  I kid you not, once he was finished, about three other adults right next to us started gagging and dry heaving.  It was like a chorus of people about to vomit.  Holding our bags on our laps and picking up our feet, my husband and I sat squished next to one another trying to breathe through our mouths and hoping no one else would spew.  I'm happy to report that we got off the bus vomit-free!  I'm pretty sure we were the only ones though.  So glad we chose the seats that we did.

Here's some of our favorite pictures from the trip.  Ahhhh Arizona.  We love you so much - even with the vomit express.  Until next year.....

At our favorite restaurant - "Alberto's" - Too bad he was in Italy this trip.   Maybe we'll see him next year.




Pretty much the equivalent of an Arizona pigeon.   So much prettier than ours.

Bunnies everywhere.

Pretty clear why they call it "The Boulders".


Heh heh heh 


I love rocks.  

Maybe we'll actually golf on this beautiful course one of these trips.

Until then, it's all yours bunnies. 

Ian's not amused by my incessant picture taking.  Note the sunscreen in his hand?  Yes, we were very responsible.


Black Mountain.  Our dream home will be built there someday.

Goofing around on "The Gilli-monster".

I look in control now, but I'm about to hit the bottom hard.  Ouch.  There's a reason kids where diapers.
As evidenced by Ian's arms and giant grin, he enjoyed the slide - and unlike his wife, he actually landed on his feet.

Carefree town square - Population 2,500 + 2 more.





Be careful where you step.  These guys are all over the place. 

Look closely.  That's a hummingbird.  I love my new camera.

This guy lived outside our casita.  Again, I love my camera. 

More rocks.

One of two pools.  This one's our favorite.

View while floating in the pool. 

My favorite view.

Scratch that.  This is my favorite view.  ( Ian.  Not the bald big guy. ) 

Ian's favorite view.

Fat and happy.  See you next year!








1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a great time. You both look wonderful! Hugs!!S

    ReplyDelete